Tuesday

9/11

        Today is the 11th anniversary of the terrible terrorist attack on America. I was in 8th grade in social studies class when I started to realize something was going on. At the time I was living in Fredericksburg, VA. There were a lot of students at my school who's parents worked at the Pentagon. Because of being so close and having a close connection to the Pentagon our school never announced what happened. There were so many parents coming to school to pick up their kids. It wasn't until I got home from school and saw what was on TV that I knew what had happened. I don't really remember what I thought of it. Unfortunately probably not much. At the age of 13 I had no idea the impact that this would have on our great nation. I was saddened by the loss of so many people but I still could not grasp the concept of the loss of a life. At the time and still to this day I have never lost anyone close to me. I thank God everyday that I'm lucky enough to have all my grandparents in my life. So to watch so many people lose their lives was hard to understand. I didn't understand politics and why someone would want to attack the United States. Even when President Bush announced we'd be going to war that really meant nothing to me. Little did I know that 10 years later I'd marry a U.S. Army Soldier. The impact of 9/11 has definitely changed a little for me considering our new Army life. I have 4 close family members who are currently serving our country. 2 of them just returned to the States after serving 6 months in Afghanistan, my brother-in-law is currently there and my husband will be sent within the year. I never thought that something that happened 11 years ago would have such a big effect on my life as well as my parents, in-laws, my sister and her in-laws. There are so many brave and courageous men and women who put their lives on the line to continue to fight for the lives lost 11 years ago today. So I want to send up a prayer to those who are suffering with the lose of a loved one and a big Thank You to those are are still in the fight! The past and current service members still standing tall to protect this great nation. I am proud to say I married one of those men and I am a proud Army Wife! 

Here is an example of such a strong young man who was injured in Afghanistan just 8 weeks ago! He was in ROTC with my husband and a fellow ECU Pirate! We are proud of you Nathan!